Kahlil Gibran’s ‘Al Mustafa’ through’ The Prophet’

Is ‘The Prophet’ ; a poetry, an essay, or a ‘string of philosophical beads ’? Whatever may be its form, it’s undoubtedly a celestial beauty laced with enchanting language dealt on earthly issues. What is this life all about and how it has to be cherished is what ‘Kahlil Gibran’ tells us through ‘Al Mustafa’.

For me, it’s contemporary version of ‘Sri Krishna’s Bhagvad Geeta’ and ‘Prophet Mohammad’s Quran’ that synthesizes spectrum of life’s nuances from our Birth until our Death. If I were the resident of ‘ Orphalese’ , I would have asked ‘Al Mustafa’ about Conflict, Hatred, Insecurity - the terms that are distinctly pronounced in 21st century and also some of my own favorites like Dream, Morality, Rebirth and Truth.

‘Al Mustafa’ is part of every one of us. I am not sure if I have reached my ‘Orphalese’ but my ‘Bsharri’ is definitely belonging to ‘Govt Colony of Bandra East’. Luckily for me, I do not need to wait for ‘The coming of the Ship’ to take me there. With global business, I get an opportunity to see the changing nuances of my place of origin. Kahlil Gibran through ‘Al Mustafa’ does alleviate some of the pangs of this living and makes the transition from ‘Life to Death’ more meaningful and beautiful. I too have my own world as that of ‘Kahlil Gibran’, as rich, diverse, mystical and vibrant as his, but I suffer from my limitations to portray it with opulence of art and painting. My ‘Orphalese’ is not yet reached its steady state but it does encompass interesting and fascinating personalities of ‘Rich, Noble and wise Men and Woman, Hard diligent Workers and many ‘Al Mitra’.

I would be happy if I could memorize at least three guiding principles on ‘Talking’, ‘Marriage’ and ‘Children’ – three pillars of my existence amidst Pleasure, Pain, Joy and Sorrow.

Talking: “You talk when you cease to be at peace with your thoughts. And when you can no longer dwell in the solitude of your heart you live in your lips, And sound is the diversion and a pastime. And in much of your talking, thinking is half murdered.”

Marriage: “Love one another, but not make a bond of love. Let it rather be a moving sea between the shores of your souls. Fill each other’s cup but drink not from one cup. Give one another of your bread but not eat from the same loaf. Sing and dance together and be joyous but let each one of you be alone. And stand together, yet not too near each other. For the pillars of the temple stand apart. And the Oak tree and cypress grow not in each other’s shadow”

Children: “Your children are not your children. They are the sons and daughters of Life’s longing for itself. They come through you but nor from you. And though they are with you yet they belong not to you. You may give them your love nut not your thoughts. For they have their own thoughts. You may house their bodies but not their souls. For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow, which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams. You may strive to be like them but see not to make them like you. For life goes not backward nor tarries with yesterday. You are the bows from which your children as living arrows are sent forth.”

Through ‘The Prophet’ and Al Mustafa , I am in love with you Kahlil Gibran and your thoughts on Love. Love gives naught but itself and takes naught but from itself. Love possesses not nor would be possessed. For love is sufficient unto Love.

Comments

Anonymous said…
read your blog about Kahlil Gibran’s ‘Al Mustafa’ through’ The Prophet’ 10:56 AM 3/31 it so nice

Popular posts from this blog

10cc gulp and 24 hour high

Rabbit and Tortoise story in Marathi musical

Madhav Julian and Indiver -प्रेमस्वरुप आई and Zindgi Ka Safar